We established the Morningside Heights Community Fund (MHCF) through Community Benefits Agreements with local institutions and real estate developers active in our neighborhood. MHCC members felt it was important to ensure that entities profiting significantly from mostly luxury real estate development on our blocks “give back” to our community.
MHCF funds are managed through the New York Community Trust and presented to nonprofit organizations in and around our neighborhood that provide essential services to neighbors in need or enrich our shared community life. In recent times, we have focused especially on supporting programs that have addressed the effects of COVID-19 in our community. To date, MHCF has conducted three rounds of funding, awarding $325,000 to 24 local groups. Click on the bolded text below to explore some of our grant recipients.
- Riverside Language Program (November 2021) – Providing various services to immigrant essential workers in Morningside Heights, including English language instruction, civic education, emergency rent assistance and digital literacy.
- West 111th St. People’s Garden (November 2021) – Building a gazebo for community activities and to provide a gathering place for neighbors.
- Friends of the Children NY (November 2021) – Providing mentoring and family support to children in Morningside Heights and West Harlem affected by the prison and foster care system.
- Broadway Community (March 2021) – Feeding neighbors at their soup kitchen in Morningside Heights and delivering food to those in need.
- Harlem Wellness (March 2021) – Will purchase and deliver farm fresh produce to Harlem seniors enrolled in their wellness program.
- America Scores New York (August 2020) – Launched a monthlong virtual summer program to continue supporting Morningside Heights youth virtually, with a focus on racial equity and social justice through the lens of sport, poetry, and community.
Full Lists of Past Recipients
*If you are viewing this site from a mobile phone, tap on the three dots on the bottom of the page to see our live Twitter feed.